Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Varying selection performance between systems

julian_lelandjulian_leland Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 59 PRO
Have other people noticed differences in the reliability of selections between devices/browsers? I find that on Chrome x64/Windows 7/desktop workstation selection is reliable and fast; on Chrome x64/Windows 8.1/convertible netbook it's occasionally unreliable (takes a few clicks to select or deselect an item); on Chrome x64/Ubuntu 14.04/convertible netbook it's really sketchy. I'm trying to report this as it happens, but are other folks seeing this as well?

Comments

• pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    @Julian Leland  Yes, I see variations in performance both in selection speed and view rotation refresh.  My day job PC is a Windows 7 device and I use Chrome Canary (64 bit).  At home my PC is similar hardware, but running Windows 8.1 and also Chrome Canary (64 bit).  My home PC has a little bit newer of graphics card, and an SSD (I don't think the SSD has much effect - but thought I would mention it at its a significant hardware difference).  My Windows 8.1 PC at home easily beats performance of the PC at work (Windows 7).  I think it comes down to graphics card support of WebGL, but I am not positive yet.
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited January 2015
    Yes, I'm seeing performance variations too. I think they're subtle. Certainly not problematic (for me).
    In terms of performance/smoothness (all using Chrome):
    Linux Mint 17.1 > WIndows 8.1 > Windows 7
    All 64 bit OSes and Chrome

Nothing beats the efficiency and tiny footprint of a good Linux distro. ;)
    If someone throws me some money, I'll definitely get one of those Chromebooks too. Haha :D

Regards,
    Dries
  • julian_lelandjulian_leland Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 59 PRO
    Generally, I think I'm finding Win7 > Linux > Win8. However, this is likely because the Win7 machine is the desktop workstation (12 cores, 16 GB, Quadro card, etc.), versus the other two on a lightweight computer (Sony Vaio Flip 13)

Starting this thread compelled me to go back and do some testing under Linux regarding the buggy selection I was describing earlier. I think I've actually identified what's going on here: when I use the touchpad (which has mouse buttons built in) to select things, clicking produces slight motions of the mouse, which then screws up the selection. When I use an external mouse, this doesn't happen. OnShape, is there anything you guys can do to address this?
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    There was some discussion of graphics performance here (https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/714/#Comment_714).  It might be worth while reading...
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited January 2015
    @JulianLeland‌In the past release (rel-1.13) we did address some issue we were seeing in Linux builds of Chrome but not directly related to performance.  When you do see slowdowns or have repeatable situations, let us know. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62

Julian, we do have some tolerances built in for mouse motion when clicking, but it’s possible they could use some tweaking.

Do you happen to notice if the problem occurs in one part of the application more than another (e.g., when sketching, or selecting edges for a fillet)?  When you say it screws up the selection, do you mean that it doesn’t make a selection at all, or that it selects the wrong thing?

Thanks!

• julian_lelandjulian_leland Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 59 PRO
    @EvanNowak‌ - the problem seems to be worse when selecting in sketches vs. selecting in the model. Typically, it doesn't make a selection at all (I'm remembering one time in particular where I was clicking and clicking, trying to select a line in a fairly busy sketch, but couldn't get it to select anything).

I haven't tried this out with the latest feature push, though - I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know how it seems.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    @EvanNowak‌ - the problem seems to be worse when selecting in sketches vs. selecting in the model. Typically, it doesn't make a selection at all (I'm remembering one time in particular where I was clicking and clicking, trying to select a line in a fairly busy sketch, but couldn't get it to select anything).

I haven't tried this out with the latest feature push, though - I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know how it seems.
    I'm assuming the issue is that you are moving the mouse ever so slightly after mouse down which is being registered as a drag of the sketch underneath it.  When you do this, do you notice that sketch regions/faces rebuild when you are trying to select?  Or if you could check the undo stack (right-click on the undo button) and see if a drag is added.  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com