Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

First touch from user perspective

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
Just got the access and gave a quick try for this mystic feature..

Like I always do, no manuals, no learning, just open up and try

I was able to create new feature script tab and link it to part studio.

Then created (with fs) a sketch with rectangle and extrude to part.
At first I had sketch solved before creating geometry but descriptive error message guide me to fix that.

IDE is great help for people like me who don't have strong background in producing code from scratch but rather concentrate on modifying existing code to suit our needs.   

I'm happy with the first touch and will proceed to examine some documentation to learn more. 
//rami
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Great!  Let us know what you're able to build or where you run into trouble.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited December 2015
    At the moment I'm not sure what I would like to do with FS. How can it help me with decent amount of coding?

I'm in the phase where "Hello world" succeeded but I don't know what to code next.. I don't have time to practice, I need to aim something I really need.

What I would need is control models with parameters, that is already possible with normal modeling. But I would also need to print those parameters as list (like BOM with part dimensions) - is this possible?

I would also need standard holes (dia&depth) and hole groups (dia&depth&pattern). And also standard cylinder with chamfer (dowel head sticking out of panel head). Usage should be really flawless to beat current sketching + hole/extrude.

Other stuff I would like to have is control variables from external database/software, embed stuff (named views, 3d model..) into external website and other viewing/representing related stuff but I suppose these would need API programming (at least)? 

It would be great to see more examples to build ideas on how FS can help my (or anyone's) workflow.

Other beta users, what are you doing with FeatureScript?
    //rami
  • Options
    kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    On standard holes, that sounds like something that works best integrated with the product. You may want to wait and see Onshape's implementation =)

I liked the idea of dowels, so I made a top-level post on the subject:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/2352/consolidating-pieces-of-your-workflow-into-robust-and-simple-features#latest

I doubt I covered your exact use case, but it may be enough scaffolding to get you started.

Some good requirements for what makes a good FeatureScript feature are:
    1. Should this live inside my feature tree?
    2. Can I provide the right inputs so that the outcome I want is well-defined?
    3. Is that interface going to be better than what Onshape gives me right now?
    4. Is the time investment going to pay itself off?
    You may discover more criteria as you work with it. Let us know if you do!