Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

creating a dome like profile

benn_banksbenn_banks Member Posts: 20
hey guys, im trying to mimic a design aspect from a part. But im not sure the easiest way to do it.
Its the rounded fillet or chamfer around these bolt holes.

What i have so far is this,

Whats the best way 
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Do you want smooth extrusion/loft or do you want it like model with a seies of flats on the loft?  I would draw a circle on a plane created offset a distance from the rectangular faces, then use a loft betwwen existing rectangular face and the new sketched circle. Then draw another circle inside and extrude remove for the hole.

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Hi Benn - those look like they are revolved.  I guess this thing is 3D printed since you wouldn't be able to make that any other way (especially with the sharp near-zero slither cut-out at the base of each revolve).

Anyway - create a plane through the axis of the hole and sketch a triangle on one side representing the area to remove and revolve/remove. To get that exact geometry on screen would require you to do one boss as a separate part, then pattern/mirror and combine them later (this would also get rid of the slither cut-out).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • benn_banksbenn_banks Member Posts: 20
    Thanks neil!! that does it. Is there a way to copy the profile for the all 6 sides? instead of making it up each time?
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I would probably make the dome part as a new part and then mirror it about one of the pairs.  Then I would take both domes and circular pattern them 3x over the whole 360 degrees and boolean everything together.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • benn_banksbenn_banks Member Posts: 20
    ya i kind of see what you mean. make the dome parts as a separate thing, and then space the 2 apart, then do the circle pattern to et the 3 sets. whats the boolean for though?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    When you create disconnected solid bodies in Onshape, they become separate parts.  The boolean simply adds them back together.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI