Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

holes - why can't I select a point?

iain_downsiain_downs Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
So.  I want to put a hole in something.  I have a sketch.  I've put points on the sketch.  I've extruded the sketch.

Now I want to make a hole where the point is.  how?  I know this sounds silly, but sometimes I can select the sketch /surface and sometimes I can't.

I have no idea what happens when it works or when it does not.  In fact what happens is that I can;t select ANYTHING at all in my part studio when this goes on.

It's probably simple and obvious :(

Iain

Answers

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hi iain_downs,

Holes are created by centering on sketch points from the graphics area and are made in the direction of into the sketch (with the option to flip).

1. Create a part that you want to cut a hole in.  Create another sketch and place the point where you want the hole to be.

2. Start a hole command and set the hole type and values that you want.  Because I am sketching on the face of the part, the hole will by default go into the part.  Make sure that the 'Sketch points to place holes' field is active.

3. With the 'Sketch points to place holes' field selected, select the sketch point from the graphics area.  This will create a hole at that point and automatically add the part into the Merge scope.  If you want your hole to go through more parts, add those to the Merge scope as well.

1.png 129.1K
    2.png 149.6K
    3.png 151.5K
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • mark_rountree_mark_rountree_ Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Thanks so much for this.