Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

The OnShape PC

The whole concept of Onshape working in any browser is cool, but I would challenge you to make an inexpensive Onshape PC optimized for the experience. This could be as simple as buying Chromebooks, WinLaptops or Raspberry Pis and customizing the case with Onshape colors and logo on the outside and wallpaper and web browser skin defaults on the inside.

The goal is to give a visual icon for your die hard users to gather around. You could sell these in your store, showcase them at trade shows, get schools to buy them for their classrooms and makerspaces, and as swag for monthly contests. Equip your school reps and evangelists with Onshape decorated laptops and messenger bags. It would give your QA team a standard test machine to verify that each build is certified against so that when folks have weird issues they know at least one machine where it will work. 

You could also install the latest partner plugins and centralize the update process to ensure OnShape PCs are always ready to work with CNC machines. Have your evangelists make sure any Makers making CNC machines on KickStarter or Indiegogo get an Onshape PC to showcase that their product works. It'll help make you the standard in new markets.

Comments

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    The whole concept of Onshape working in any browser is cool, but I would challenge you to make an inexpensive Onshape PC optimized for the experience. - clip
    Not saying your idea has anything wrong - it might be great. Just IMHO.

For me Onshape experience changes with the need, in office I wan't to work with big hires screens and accessories like 3d mouse ie. professional design studio. On the go I grab laptop or chromebook - in car I use touchpad and in hotel I have mouse. When in meetings I have Ipad to show models and when waiting kids from hobbies I spend time with Ons android app with smartphone. 

I think this is exactly what they wan't to sell, no matter where, what device, prepared or not - you always have access and possibility to design with professional cad.

Creating something 'standard' will always be too much for someone while it's not enough for other one.
    It would give your QA team a standard test machine to verify that each build is certified against so that when folks have weird issues they know at least one machine where it will work.
    This would be very bad route, when folks have weird issues they need to know they will have it fixed shortly rather than pushing everyone into same device. Standard test machine should be any computer in the world with up-to-date web browser and internet connection.
    //rami