Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Dome with metal strap

phil_smith878phil_smith878 Member Posts: 6
Hi

I have created a dome with 4m dia and a wall thickness of 9mm. The outside of the done will have a 2 metal straps of 125mm wide and 6mm thick at 90 deg to each other. I have managed to make one and ball mate to surface, I am struggling to do the other and get the mate. See attached, any help mych appreciated.

Answers

• phil_smith878phil_smith878 Member Posts: 6
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Your second ball mate is failing because the mate connectors used in it are coming from the same part.  The first one is the inferred center of the inner circular edge of the dome.  The second is the inferred center of the inner surface of the dome.

What specifically are you trying to do with the two straps?  Ball mates might not be the most deterministic solution.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @phil_smith878, Your second ball mate is failing because the mate connectors used in it are coming from the same part as shown in below image.

Kindly refer below video for giving mate constraint to dome assembly.