Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to orient the image added to a sketch?

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
I have a front view and a read view image. I create a sketch on a 0 plane. I add the front view image and everything is fine.
Now I need to add the rear view image. It will be on the same 0 place, but I need to look at it from the opposite direction.
Can I flip the normal on the plane? Or can I flip the normal on the image?
Right now when I view the image from the rear, it is mirrored.
I could put the image into photoshop and mirror it ... but I dont want to.
Any suggestions?

Answers

• OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    It would also be nice to be able to see the image only from one direction. That way you could view a front view image from the front and spin around and see the rear view image from the rear. I am coming from CATIA V5 and that is how they have implemented the functionality.

For the rear view in this setup I had to go into photoshop and mirror the image.

Also if you delete the image you are left with an empty image element in the script with no way to reattach to a new image. I would like to adjust the image contrast and brightness in photoshop, but I then have to delete and completely reorient the image each time. It would be nice to have a replace.

Is there a size limit on the images? I had to reduce the front and rear views to 100DPI to get the image import to work.

The import function tends to get stuck between importing image message and the indicate image corners dialog.
    Often I have to import, then cancel, then select the image, then place.

The image often imports but the thumb doesn't show up until exiting the dialog and reentering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ahNkqmah0 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great Feedback. I am sure the import image thing could be improved upon. I have also found I have to edit images before importing. I now try to crop the edges of the image to known dimension so I can get the right scale easily, how did you go with getting the scale and position of the image's?

Is there any sound on your youtube clip?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    I used Photoshop to crop the images to a known dimension, in this video its 20 inches.
    I used the guides to get the centerlines on the drawing to be in the center of the image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQyeAx1kCV0

When I imported into Onshape I deleted the horizontal constraint on the bottom edge.
    I added a fixed constraint on one of the corners, and then rotated the image.
    Then added a horizontal constraint on the new bottom edge (probably could have just did a horizontal constraint on the vertical edge)
    Then I struct a diagonal line from lower corner to upper corner and put in a midpoint.
    I constrained that midpoint to the origin of the sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZsLd_cYc60

These are my first videos ... this weekend I am going to give adding narration a try.