Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Questions about creating a drawing?

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

1) How can I put a centerline diagonally between the centers of these two views?

2) Can I use fractional dimensions?

3) Extension line gaps work when I pull dimension to right side of side view but not left side? Any pointers?

4) Dimensions pulled to left side sometimes shoot off paper? Any pointers?

5) Can I take section that is aligned to these two view and not horizontal and vertical? 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Also how do I generate a view from any planar face in the model?
  • Options
    How to add additional parts after you've started with one?
  • Options
    Can you cut a section from an auxiliary view?
  • Options

So basically all I am trying to do is recreate this drawing in Onshape.

I position and then flip aux view but then can't cut the section of axis.

So I thought OK ... lets just align everything to be parallel to the sheet of paper ... but there seems to be no tools for this.

I'm a little frustrated.

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Also how do I generate a view from any planar face in the model?
    If I understand your question correctly, you should be able to use an auxillary view.  Select the edge you want to project from.  Maybe potentially need to rotate it after.

How to add additional parts after you've started with one?
    Start a drawing view and there will be an option to choose the part, part studio, or assembly to make the view of.  This will allow you to put a second part into a drawing.

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    From an existing view ... I want to add another part to a view that already has a part in it....for a total of 2 parts from a Part Studio.
    In your example, I would like to see how you add part 2 to the views already defined in your drawing.

***If another part is not allowed, I would still like to be able to go back after and swap out the part for the whole part studio or another assembly. As design matures things tend to get reorganized .... currently have to start drawing over again,
  • Options
    Also I can't seem to cut a cross section from the auxiliary view because you can only do a horizontal or vertical section?
    My work around was to rotate the aux view...then the section was horizontal or vertical.
    Problem is there was no snap to geometry... and no way to measure between vertical line and line in aux view to determine angle.
    I had to go into 3D and measure....but the measure was only to 2 decimal places...so I had to add a 3rd decimal place guess until I found it was perfectly aligned to drawing.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    From a new view ....
    How about adding two parts from a studio? I see how to add one part .... or the whole studio ... but not two parts.

***I was able to put the two parts in an assembly and make a drawing from that. Would still think several parts from a studio would be allowed.
This discussion has been closed.