Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

A few questions

david_bonettidavid_bonetti Member Posts: 1
edited July 2016 in Community Support

Forgive me if these are stupid questions as I am new to onshape and 3D modeling in general.

I’ve imported a SW assembly into onshape and would like to edit the parts as well as do some assembly level edits.  I have a few questions:

1.       Is there a way to open the parts individually? When I click a part in the left panel it just highlights it in the assembly. How do I open it in a parts studio to edit it?  And once it’s in a parts studio is there a way to take it back to a sketch?

2.       Is there a way to take a whole part or an assembly and increase its size by 220%?

3.       I would like to cut a hole through the whole assembly as I need the alignment of the assembly so a rod can be inserted through all the parts. Is it possible to do this and if so how?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @david_bonetti , You can't open solid works assembly file in OnShape.if are opened it,then it may be STEP,PARASOLID etc.
    1. If you want open solid works assembly,then you have save it as STEP or PARASOLID(Any importable formats). Once you imported such files to OnShape,it will be oped in OnShape partstudio . In OnShape part studio you can edit features by direct editing tools(you can't open sketches made in solid works).
    2. You can scale the all parts by using transform option.Select transform option then select scale uniformly option from drop down menu.Now you can scale the parts by selecting them.
    3. You can cut the holes.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Narayan_K said:
    @david_bonetti , You can't open solid works assembly file in OnShape.if are opened it,then it may be STEP,PARASOLID etc.
    1. If you want open solid works assembly,then you have save it as STEP or PARASOLID(Any importable formats). Once you imported such files to OnShape,it will be oped in OnShape partstudio . In OnShape part studio you can edit features by direct editing tools(you can't open sketches made in solid works). 
    SolidWork assemblies can be imported by using a pack-n-go zip file.  As long as the top level assembly is the same name as the zip the import should work.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com