Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rationale for non negative offsets in user dialog?

traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
I'm noticing that offsets for creating features are artificially forced to be non negative (in cPlane() for instance).

What is the rationale for this? Why should I follow the same convention in my own features? On the surface it seems like a random and unnecessary limitation...

Comments

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    I think both approaches can work -- but personally, I also prefer just using negative numbers to denote direction flips.  I don't think there is a reason to follow this convention in your own features -- in fact, part of the reason for FS's existence is to not have users bound by UX decisions they disagree with.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc