Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Times out too fast

ramon_hammramon_hamm Member Posts: 9
 I use a Samsung 12.2 Pro tablet, I switch to tutorials on the web or downloaded PDFs, seems like if I return to my Onshape drawing in more than a minute, it's back to the main menu. I need a longer timeout period, Onshape is not on the list of Multi-Window apps so it won't stay active. I have limited data, the way this app adds size to the most simple design is going to wipe out my monthly data. I can't use the web version, no webgl. How can I get a longer inactive period?
Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    adamohernadamohern Member, OS Professional Posts: 216 PRO
    Somebody at Onshape can verify, but I'm 99% certain that you cannot use Onshape without a perpetual internet connection. If you have limited data and are unwilling to change that fact, Onshape is probably not a good fit for you.
  • Options
    ramon_hammramon_hamm Member Posts: 9
    I have constant internet connection, the problem is that that it times out so fast, it has to reload the file I'm in, I can't "tab" over to any kind of tutorial for help without reloading an ever growing file.
  • Options
    rbaekrbaek Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 77
    I have constant internet connection, the problem is that that it times out so fast, it has to reload the file I'm in, I can't "tab" over to any kind of tutorial for help without reloading an ever growing file.
    When you're returning to the app, are you returning to a drawing tab? In general the timeout for modeling is one hour so seeing it timeout after a minute or so is definitely strange.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited April 2016
    Since load speeds are the "slow" thing in onshape, having a large assy timeout is really a pain.

Can't you save a local copy and then re-sync to a server upon return? Re-sending a document after time out seems bothersome.

On this subject, I find that I have to shut chrome down during the day and re-start everything with a fresh memory allocation. OS becomes lethargic after a few hours and I think it's google's helper files that aren't being managed well. Any comments on memory leaks?

• Options
    BouwyBouwy Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I have the same experience as Billy regarding the re-start of chrome during the day