Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Dividing a long shaft.

george_goblegeorge_goble Member Posts: 4
edited July 2016 in Community Support
Newbie here.
I've drawn a shaft that needs to show it's longer than drawn.
EG: In model, shaft is 6", if ever made, it will be 30".
Since the shaft is already drawn, how is a section removed?

dlw

Answers

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @george_goble, You can change shaft size by many ways as shown in below description and attached video.
    1) If you have created shaft with the help of extrude then change the dimension of extrude.
    2) If you have created shaft by revolve method then change the shaft length from revolve sketch.
    3) You also removed undesired section with the help of direct editing tool "Move Face".
    4) You also removed undesired section with the help of thicken option also.

In above all method shaft diameter will remain constant. If you want to change length and diameter uniformly then you can perform transform operation scale uniformly. Kindly refer below video for more detail.

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Newbie here.
    I've drawn a shaft that needs to show it's longer than drawn.
    EG: In model, shaft is 6", if ever made, it will be 30".
    Since the shaft is already drawn, how is a section removed?

dlw
    What is the purpose of modeling it 6" if it will be 30"?  Are you trying to show it on a drawing as a broken view?  Otherwise the two examples above would work.  You could also build it as 30" and then select the end of the shaft and do another Extrude (remove) as a distance of 24", leaving 6".  Better suggestions might come from an application of the smaller representation. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    george_goblegeorge_goble Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry about the delay in responding.
    The shaft is drawn as needed except I forgot to show it was divided.
    I am going to redraw later to scale. Water pipes broke at the house. Kinda busy.