Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Boolean operation failure

michael_fullermichael_fuller Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
How on earth does this simple extrude result in a Boolean operation failure?  It's as though it's only offsetting the plane, not actually extruding.  Not asking it to do anything fancy, just simply extrude the face of the open cylinder another 20 mm.  Now it will allow me to execute the operation if I extrude as "New".  But I don't see any reason why this would fail, this isn't creating any zero thickness geometry as the starting plane isn't the face of the open cylinder but one that's offset rearwards, thus allowing for some unnecessary overlap.  But regardless of the plane (I tried the face of the open cylinder first), Onshape isn't allowing me to extrude an open cylinder tonight (also experimented with a closed cylinder as well, even though this isn't the geometry I'm after, and same failure).  Rough Onshape night.

Best Answer

• Options
    edited May 2016 Answer ✓
    Figured it out.  The extrude was going to create a zero thickness where the cylinder just touched the channel that you can see cleared out ahead of the cylinder in the image above.  Reduced the depth of the channel by .1 mm and problem went away.  Onshape needs a way to highlight specific problem areas.  Only came across this through trial and error.

Answers

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure without a link try deselecting merge with all and select to merge with the circular housing only. 
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    How do I provide a link?  Deselecting Merge With All hasn't changed anything.  Really weird, just offsetting the plane and no extrusion going on.
  • Options
    edited May 2016 Answer ✓
    Figured it out.  The extrude was going to create a zero thickness where the cylinder just touched the channel that you can see cleared out ahead of the cylinder in the image above.  Reduced the depth of the channel by .1 mm and problem went away.  Onshape needs a way to highlight specific problem areas.  Only came across this through trial and error.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    You could just copy and paste the address from the browser into the forum. or use the link icon just above the body of your forum message.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,371
    You will get an error message about not being able to return a valid part. This is usually when you get a zero thickness edge and since it's zero thickness there's nothing to highlight. You also have to consider that this, as one part, would be impossible to manufacture  ;)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI