Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

three midplanes of a cuboid

adamohernadamohern Member, OS Professional Posts: 216 PRO
If I've extruded a cuboid (and I'm certain it's a six-sided rectangular prism), what is the most efficient way of creating the three midplanes at its center?

If I were modeling it I'd use the Plane tool and select opposing faces on the cube as inputs, then select midplane mode. I'm not sure if (a) this is the most efficient way to do it from FS, or (b) how to find opposing face sets on a solid.

Comments

• kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    (b) isn't easy right now. You could do it by evaluating the planes and sorting them yourself.

As for (a), the best way is likely geometry agnostic. Starting with a bounding box and its coordinate system, you can make three Plane objects (setting the origins to the average of minCorner and maxCorner, and the plane normals to each of the three axes of the coordinate system). The use opPlane to bring your planes to life.

As a general rule, if you can do it with math alone, the math is going to be faster and work with a wider variety of shapes than the same job done with queries.