Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Copy entities from plane to plane but pasted result is mirror of original

kurt_conynghamkurt_conyngham Member Posts: 8
Hello,

I drew a few sketches on the face of an extruded rectangle but that idea was restraining me and now i want to copy the sketches from the rectangle face into their own plane.  I have done one side with success but when I copy and paste the other side it pastes in as a mirror of the original, 
I'm not sure if I mirrored it originally somehow but now all my entities are flipped horizontally and I cant see any easy way of flipping the whole sketch plane horizontally.

any ideas?

thanks,

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,388
    A face has one side (pointing outwards from the solid) and a plane has two, so your pasted sketch is on a plane whose normal is pointing in the opposite direction. Edit the plane and flip the direction. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    edited September 2016
    I'm curious about this as well since I've had this happen before too.

How do you flip the normal of a plane?
    The only direction option I see when select Edit Plane is to flip the offset direction and if I create the plane using something like 'Plane and Point', there are no options.

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,388
    Sorry yes you are right (I was thinking about a FeatureScript option). If you offset from the standard planes the new plane normal will point in the same direction. If you offset from a face it will point in the same direction as the face. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    kurt_conynghamkurt_conyngham Member Posts: 8
    NeilCooke said:
    A face has one side (pointing outwards from the solid) and a plane has two, so your pasted sketch is on a plane whose normal is pointing in the opposite direction. Edit the plane and flip the direction. 
    So when i click on a new plane and press sketch to create a new sketch I can do this from either side of the plane, so i need to create a new sketch looking at the plane from the opposite side to which I did before.
    thanks,