Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

dimensioning a assembly, section view

mischlmischl Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited June 2016 in Community Support
hello all

often my need in OS is to assemble some parts and to see, how they fit together. for check, I control several distances inside the assembly, sometimes with a section view.

so I select two edges, go to the 'show measure details' in the right bottom edge, click them on and look.
but for the documentation of such a dimension, especially it there are ten spaces to check, it is not so fast and more important, I don't have them all together at the end for a screenshot or print out.

is there a way for this?
I have tried to create a drawing of a section view, but seems not possible.
dimension lines in an assembly would help, but probably that conflicts strongly with the intention of an assembly.

thanks in advance

Best Answers

Answers

• mischlmischl Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    @viru many thanks for this great, detailed explanation!
    so it was easy able to do this.
    in meantime I found this improvement request: https://onshape.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/210739637-Detail-views-in-section-view-drawing
    as well as its implementation at the day I asked for:  https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/3801/detail-views-in-section-view-drawing
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @mischl, I think user now able to create detail view on section view. This issue solved by Onshape in last update which is released on May 26th, 2016. Kindly refer below image and detail.

Last Update:  Many drawing improvements including detail views of section and auxiliary views, moving view labels, and flipping direction of section views. Kindly refer below video.