Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is it possible for me to create new folders in My Documents?

chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
Created By Me and Shared By Me are the 2 folders listed in My Documents.  I'd like to be able to create my own folders there, but I don't see how.  Is the option there and I just haven't figured out how to use it?

When I had the free version of OS, I didn't need to organize very much because I only had a few files.   Now I have more files, and I'd like to start grouping some of those together in folders.

Best Answers

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, too, am keen to see all aspects of navigation (not just of documents, but within documents - eg feature lists, part lists etc) scaled up for industrial use.

But I'm also confident that we won't see these crucial aspects "taken to scale" with such urgency as to be lacking in finesse... 
  • chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    John, Thanks for the quick reply.   You guys are doing an awesome job of making OS into what I want!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would very much prefer tagging & filtering over traditional folders.

This way same document can below to many 'folders' and it would be easy to include documents like 'nuts&bolts' into any project where used so that you see instantly all the documents of the project.

I would also like to see a list of tabs without opening a document and click from list to directly open certain tab. And of course search will crawl through tab names along with other information of the document. 
    //rami
  • 3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    Like plus the ability to create folder other features such as:

1. Options accessed through the contest menu (RMB), such as "Download", "Translate", "Rename", "Move", "Copy", "Properties" among others ...
    2. Drag and Drop option to upload files.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of an organization above documents just as a way to categorize things a bit easier.  My day job is for a company that is 76+ years old.  Needless to say we have a lot of design data.  Managing it all in flat documents would be brutal.  I like tagging, but if you forget to tag the data, then how do you find it?  Also, if you don't speak the lingo of the company then how do you know what tag to search under?  I think an organization above documents could automatically apply tags as a rule setup on that level.  You could use it to push certain properties down to everything underneath it.  I could see value it that.
  • W_SRW_SR Member Posts: 2 PRO
    We are beginning to accrue large numbers of documents.

Better organisation of documents is a must for us.
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for Better organisation of documents