Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Writing text to a file?

adamohernadamohern Member, OS Professional Posts: 216 PRO
Can a FeatureScript save text to a file in the project? This could be useful for analytical features that check geometry conditions, for example. It could also be useful for exporting BOM's and cut-lists.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    @adamohern what is the point to create BOM from Part Studio? My assumption, you'd like to make a BOM from Assembly. Did I miss something in your logic?

• Options
    adamohernadamohern Member, OS Professional Posts: 216 PRO
    @adamohern what is the point to create BOM from Part Studio? My assumption, you'd like to make a BOM from Assembly. Did I miss something in your logic?

Short answer: FeatureScript.

Part Studios in Onshape are intended to contain multiple parts in a single design environment. Importing those parts into an Assembly is useful for motion studies, but otherwise unnecessary.

My specific use-case is for framing: I can create a single FeatureScript that generates an entire frame. With only a few features I can build an entire house frame, for example.

Each framing feature keeps tabs of how much stock it uses when creating a given frame, and saves that information to a set of variables. Each new framing feature adds to those variables, so the totals are cumulative. At the end of the feature list I can add a single feature that reads those variables and outputs a BOM without ever needing to create an Assembly, and, more importantly, it can even create a very accurate cut-list, since it knows exactly what cuts were necessary (unlike an assembly, which could only ever create a simple list of parts).
  • Options
    stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    tagging on here.....
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for writing text to a file