Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

New Version of Socket Screw Creator ( v 2.0 )

dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
This is just a small release to address a couple of issues that are annoying?

* Removed Extraneous point in socket head. Now, when you hide the screw, you wont have a point and helix by default
     * Clarified Cosmetic Threads-- changed to "Hide Threads" and "Cosmetic Threads"
     * changed default cosmetic thread type to "hide" since most users do not like them

new version is here https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2d7e0a6b68c2039da4221ebc/w/06d0026261b3d9bb908f74a1/e/b92e2707bc8e8165e208a55e

Other enhancements are coming soon. 

Enjoy!

Comments

• Options
    shai_perednikshai_perednik Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    This is wonderful!  I think you just saved me 100s of hours!
  • Options
    awesome, glad to hear that you like it!
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Brilliant tool, nice work Sir.

Two suggestions if I may:-

(1) Would it be possible for the fastener part to be named upon creation?  Example instead of "Part44" we heave something like "M6 x 30 Cap-Head" as the part name?

(2) I do a lot of 3D printing so would like to be able to print pilot holes.  If we select the "tapped" option could we have the option for a pilot sized hole? Example I've used the tool to put a M6 bolt in a part however the tapped hole is 5.4mm diameter, to be able to tap it it would need to be 5mm.

Thanks for the effort put into the featurescript.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @owen_sparks

Thanks for trying out the tool.

(1) Would it be possible for the fastener part to be named upon creation?
    Unfortunately, this is not possible due to limitations with Onshape. I've asked this question here , and when it is possible I will do it.

(2) I do a lot of 3D printing so would like to be able to print pilot holes
    The existing code creates a pilot hole using the standard tap drill diameter. For plastics you should select 75% thread. For M6 this should create a 5mm pilot hole, as that's the standard tap drill for a 75% thread ( non-ferrous and aluminum).

I've usually found the standard tap drills to work with plastic. Don't forget to select the body to tap, and then pick 75% tap.

Finally, if you want a pilot hole smaller than the standard, you can customize any dimension, including the pilot hole diameter.
    If you open up the 'customize dimensions' option, you can change any dimension you want.

Let me know if the tool does not produce the correct standard sized tap hole. 

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi Dave_Cowden.

Thanks for your detailed explanation.  I feel a tad foolish now!

What you say is of course perfectly true and works exactly as you describe.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Regards,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    @owen_sparks
    No worries!  Its a complex feature that on some screens doesn't even fit on the screen at the same time. its easy to miss all the details.  I wanted to make a tab layout like built-in features do, so that things are easier to see, but that's not possible for third party developers at this time.

Please let me know of other suggestions you have.  I'd be particularly interested in comments you have on these items:

(1) What other types of screws would be most useful to you?
    (2) Do you have any other ideas for features you would love to have? I have a a whole store of features I'm developing, and I'm looking for ideas. If you are willing, i have a list of features i'm considering, I'd love to have your feedback on those.

Dave