Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Evolve 2 parts without overlap

baumarbaumar OS Professional Posts: 76 PRO
I'm trying to evolve 2 parts on different planes that touch on 1 line. 
A simple example is here https://cad.onshape.com/documents/98ce4b59ca888f724b9331ad/w/8536dc85acf4191e0cf752a6/e/2cb74e1bb7d240675be8a5d4

When I did this there was an overlap or a gap depending on the direction of the evolvement.
I would like to 2 parts only to touch.
I managed this by making the 2 parts 1, then designing the plane and split the 2 into 1.
This works fine for a simple geometry but will be hard for a more complex situation, ( eg when the line was not straight but a curve ).

Does anybody know how to do this in an easier way?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Hei Neil, I guess I gave the answer on my own. Only after extruding the second part, the geometry of overlap is showing. If you then want the to parts to touch in another plane as the sketch was designed, you can probably only do this by creating the plane and the split the whole part along that plane. So I guess I answered the question myself so far.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    Hi @baumar it's not clear what you are after? You could use up to next or up to part on an extrude. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Hei Neil, I guess I gave the answer on my own. Only after extruding the second part, the geometry of overlap is showing. If you then want the to parts to touch in another plane as the sketch was designed, you can probably only do this by creating the plane and the split the whole part along that plane. So I guess I answered the question myself so far.