Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to use Onshape drawing to export to Inkscape to ultimately laser-cut parts?

Hi, I am trying to use onshape to make the drawings (since it's easier) so I can then laser-cute parts. I have inkscape to make the drawings into a PDF file, but I right-click on the drawing, export it as .dxf file, then when I try loading it to inkscape, it doesn't appear.

Can someone please help me on this or suggest easier ways to laser-cut from onshape drawings?

Thank you,

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    edited October 2016
    Have you tried exporting as PDF straight from Onshape?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • jordi_medellinjordi_medellin Member Posts: 19
    I can't figure out how to export it as a PDF. All I see is DXF or DWG when I try exporting it. 

Thank you for your response
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Ah, when you say "drawing" you actually mean sketch or part? If you create a drawing of your part you can export it as PDF. I can't comment on how to use Inkscape, but what are you using to laser cut the parts? Can that software not use DXF directly?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • christopher_hurtchristopher_hurt Member Posts: 3
    I just came across this post but I have the answer. This is how you can convert the drawing to a .SVG file for software like K40 Whisperer.
    1: Once you create the sketch in Onshape, while still in the editor but completed the sketch. Look at the part tree on the left. Right Click on the sketch you would like to bring over to Inkscape, and select Export as DXF/DWG.
    2: Follow the prompts to download the DXF. Once downloaded to your computer remember it's location.
    3: Start Inkscape as a New file. Select the "File" Tab on the top left corner and select "Import" then select your file. (Do not click on "Import PNG Image"
    4: Once it is finished loading, you should see the sketch. Make sure the entire sketch is selected and then go back to the "File" Tab and click on "Document Properties"
    5. A window will open up and you will have to Switch your lengths to your preferred. (mm to Inches, etc.) Then click on "Resize Page to Drawing or selection." This will help reduce the file size and other issues caused by this also can be used to check the size of the sketch matches with the original sketch dimensions (It may add a very small amount to the end).
    6. While the window is still open you must hit the up arrow on the "Scaling" X value then back down to original. This is to set the scaling for the file. Close the window.
    7. Edit the lines to the correct colors you need using "Stroke Paint"  and optionally "Stroke size". (Make sure you edit them only one color or the other. R=255 G=0 B=0, or R=0 G=0 B=255 etc)
    8. Once finished editing the colors needed, then select the entire sketch again and click on "Path" Tab > "Object To Path". (This will allow K40 Whisperer to see the lines instead of an image.)
    9. Save the file as a .SVG or the default way that Inkscape will save as.