Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Video of my CAD?

Hi

I'd like to do a video of my CAD for a presentation I will do soon. I'd like a video create by Onshape and allows to see every angle, surface, shape etc of my CAD. I don't want to do a video of my screen and work on it after. So I was asking myself if it was possible to directly create a video with Onshape or other Rendering program affiliated with Onshape?

Answers

• dave_cdave_c Onshape Employees Posts: 42
    @emile_daoust Could you describe the video you want to create in a little more detail.   Do others have interest in this capability?  How important is realistic rendering vs the image quality you normally see in Onshape?
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @dave_c

I think basic key-framing capabilities are what we need with the standard options to ease in / ease out etc.  
    The basic image quality we normally see in onshape is fine.
    Hopefully we will be able to export the animation file into another software like keyshot for rendering. 
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Download the simple video capture tool from licecap.com .  You can create annimated gif files with licecap.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would very much like to create assembly animations in Onshape, but it requires a lot more than just views from one state of model..
    //rami
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Screencast might be another option.  It looks like they have free and paid plans.  I used it recently and it seems to be pretty decent, but it's the only such product I've tried.
  • malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    3dcad said:
    I would very much like to create assembly animations in Onshape, but it requires a lot more than just views from one state of model..
    Can you elaborate what all you want to see? I can see video capture as an option to assembly animate mate command and also animate mate command advancing to include key frame and changing camera and enabling/disabling mate at different times etc. 
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @malay_kumar
    With video capture do you mean screen capture? That is not what I'm after, I have done that and after edited the video for hours and published - I needed to repeat whole work if something changed on the product.

Assembly instruction animation should be tied to version so that I could just update the version for animation and maybe adjust something to work with new version. My animations would need also text, arrows, images etc. together with animated model. And all this I would like to embed into my website so that it only lives in Onshape.

Asking too much?
    //rami
  • malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    I didn't mean screen capture. I meant offscreen rendering with predefined animation definition like camera, mate to actuate/animate etc at key frames. If we keep the animation definition outside the model history then it can be attached to different versions of assembly. I mentioned to tie it up with mate animation for product functionality demo but same can be tied to explode/assembly steps. At this time I am using this opportunity to learn more about needs while we are talking about it so nothing is too much. It sounds like you are more after assembly instruction animation. Thanks for more information.  
  • david_rubli136david_rubli136 Member Posts: 16 PRO
    Is there any update since 2016? Someone can point me to an app?