Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape UX Testing!

james_dalessandro195james_dalessandro195 Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 7

Prior to launching new releases of Onshape the UX team tests functionality with people like you. It is an opportunity to give feedback during development and influence the product.

The tests generally take between 30 and 60 minutes and involve doing some simple tasks to see if Onshape works as expected. The important thing to keep in mind is that we are testing Onshape, not you, so there are no wrong answers.

You can get involved from wherever you are in the world. We need to do a lot of tests, so anything you are interested in (drawings, assemblies, mobile, etc.) is likely up for testing.

We're always looking for participants, so if you are interested we'd love to hear from you. You can contact me via private message.

Comments

• mark_baker902mark_baker902 Member Posts: 2
    James I am interested in helping out with Testing the OnShape UX stuff (my assumption here is UX refers to Linux also). Please let me know how I can help out. 
  • jon_mcintyrejon_mcintyre Onshape Employees Posts: 56
    UX stands for User Experience.  It's not related to any operating system.  It's more about user interface and software behavior.
  • yuval_rakavy_yuval_rakavy_ Member Posts: 2
    I will be glad to help!
  • cadmandocadmando Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    I am willing to help
  • song_jaybisong_jaybi OS Professional, Developers Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I am willing to help
  • 3D3D OS Professional Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Keen to assist.
  • papawopapawo Member, Developers Posts: 206 PRO
    I am willing to help
  • jan_bouwmanjan_bouwman Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Yes, I would like to participate.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Not sure if this is still a live topic but I'm happy to help.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    +1
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    I've done it, and it was really fun (I am sure James and crew were shaking their heads for hours afterwards, as to how I could even feed myself, let alone use a CAD program - in fairness it was the mobile version, rather than the desktop version that I am familiar with). But this is a great way to get your experience into the product (it does help that I can drive to their office in ~15 minutes)
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    As I am sure we mentioned during the test, the user is NEVER the subject of the test. Rather, the product and new features are what is being tested!
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I've done this few times and it surely is fun and for me it has really showed that this product is made for users not developers. There is nothing you can do wrong in UX test =)
    //rami
  • henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    timrice said:
    As I am sure we mentioned during the test, the user is NEVER the subject of the test. Rather, the product and new features are what is being tested!
    Oh I know, and in fact they probably learned more from my epic failure (oh, two finger tap? because until I knew that afterwards, I had to undo back to the mistake!) than had I been insanely proficient. It was great meeting the developers of specific features, and having great discussions around "why did you find that so hard to use?" and "what could I have done to make your usage better". I'm a developer too, so I know how valuable watching someone use your stuff is. I always test with both noobs (who you learn the most from, since the pros for instance never read the error messages, since they don't make mistakes) and pros who you find tiny inefficient things you never noticed (where mouse twitch distance may matter). 
  • ArmindiloArmindilo Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    I'd be willing to help out if you still need a guinea pig!