Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Create hole which is tangent to a curved surface

Joe_McFaddenJoe_McFadden Member Posts: 2 PRO
Is there the capability to create a hole tangent to a curved surface (such as a tank head)? Currently when I place the hole the cut is tangent to the plane the point is on.

Assuming that I go through the work of placing a plane tangent to the surface I could get the hole to cut tangent to it - though placing that surface is somewhat of a nuisance as I am placing about 6-8 holes.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Joe_McFadden How would you position them?  If they are positioned from one "view" you can do this once and then the hole feature will automatically calculate the entry point from the lowest interface between the curved surface and the hole's outer diameter.  If you are positioning them from each tangent point wrt to the axis, then this can be a bit involved. Is this more about being able to place points/splines on curved surfaces since this would involve support for 3D sketches.  I want to make sure this would make sense for placement since the plane also defines direction (which in a point/3D sketch on a surface would have this tangent vector information built into it.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Joe_McFaddenJoe_McFadden Member Posts: 2 PRO
    @lougallo As of now I am using a sketch below the part to place the points in which the holes are related to. Yes, I would like to be able to put points onto the surface, or somehow place a hole who's direction is vertical wrt to the tangent plane.