Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

insert part to assembly

mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
My first use of this I found rather confusing and limited; A) I created a part in the part studio. B) then went to the assembly tab to see my part in assembly context. C) I want to insert a public part (or one of my other parts) into the current assembly but all it shows me is my current part

I then do a search for a bolt (there is one existing in the public area) but search brings back nothing. I also made a copy of the bolt for myself, but there is not way to insert it?
Rather confused????

M
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, it seems that you can insert parts only if they exist within the active project/document.
    I find this rather limiting as well...

Dries
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Inter-document referencing is on the radar for sure. In this phase of our testing this is not the case so you will need to "part out" to a neutral format and then import it. We completely understand long-term this is not a limitation that can exist but for this stage in the development, there are much larger feature sets to incorporate into the product.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.