Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Complex Moving Mates Questions

SunkmailSunkmail Member Posts: 20 ✭✭✭
Trying to get a better handle on complex mates ...

How would you recreate this:  Reciprocating Rack & Pinion  in Onshape?    

I can see how it would be done if collision detecting mates were available, but I can't envision how to reproduce the movement with the available mate options.

Comments

• cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @Sunkmail  Have you tried the Rack Pinion relation?
  • SunkmailSunkmail Member Posts: 20 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had a chance to yet ...

Does that work with the drive shaft always turning in the same direction?    (Such as a linear motor)

The sample in the video allows the drive shaft to maintain a constant rotational movement of the Pinion in a single direction.  
    The partially toothed gear will engage two (essentially) separate Racks for only a portion of each rotation, allowing the part with the two racks to oscillate back and forth repeatedly.

• SunkmailSunkmail Member Posts: 20 ✭✭✭

This is a OS Concept learning thing.    I don't have an actual finished product in mind.

Here is a sample model of the idea:   Reciprocating Rack & Pinion     (I added a long handle to the pinion portion to make rotating easier.)

From a practical standpoint, I don't think I got the right ratio of teeth in each portion to make it work properly, and the meshing may be too tight, but I think it shows what I'm trying to get my head around.
                      (I don't have any experience modeling gears prior to this attempt, so it may need tweaking.)

@cody_armstrong  
            - Thanks for the advice, but I couldn't get the Rack & Pinion relation to work.  I'm still new to this though, so I may not have been doing it right.

I was thinking the Tangent Mate maybe an option here, but doesn't work with this model.