Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

FeatureScript Beams - Referencing to Profiles in another document

wolfgang_maierwolfgang_maier Member Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
Hello,

i copied featurescript beams to my document (Tor+Rahmen Stahl). I created Beam Profiles in another document (document Beams+Profiles).
When i import Beam Profiles in featurescript beams the tool asks me from where to import. I say: Other documents - Beams+Profiles.
As result i can only import V5 of my beam profiles and not the main version. Both of the scripts are commited.
What is my error?

regards
Wolfgang

Comments

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Without 100% understanding your setup, the first thing that comes to mind is that "main" is not a version.  Committing the FS isn't enough -- to import from another document, you have to make a version (like V6) of the beam profiles document.  Open that document and click the create version button next to the version graph button in the top toolbar.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    References in Onshape take two forms:
    • Links within a document can be to a workspace, and will automatically update every time the referenced data changes.
    • Links between documents must be to a version. This design is to avoid unintended breaking of other documents when you change something referenced elsewhere. When you create a new version of the linked document, in FeatureScript you'll need to replace that import line with a new import of the new version.

It sounds like the best solution for you is to create a version of your latest beam profiles, and import that version in the Feature Studio.

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,371
    You should also not be splitting up the profiles and the feature - keep both together in one document, create a version, then add the feature to your toolbar so you can use it anywhere.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI