Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why is my Extrude - Remove failing?

I have a sheet metal part that I am unable to extrude-remove material from the flanges.  I think OnShape is trying to tell me what is wrong but I don't get it.  I have extrude-removed holes and fillets on flanges in other drawings with success but using the same process here is giving me an error this time.

Work Flow:
Sketch footprint on front plane.
Extrude sketch to make 3D part.
Convert to Sheet Metal Part.
Create plane on flange and sketch area to be removed.
Extrude remove  <-- Fails but shows a red/orange line like when a collision is detected.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e628773a7d7cc074e2a843e7/w/8da972ab8b79fd289a411b2b/e/370551b32a153bb4f24c9476

Any suggestions?  Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

Cheers

Best Answers

Answers

• Brooke_BohlkenBrooke_Bohlken Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 3
    edited March 2017 Answer ✓
    Hey @sean_eberhart476,

I would suggest extending the sketch past the edges of your sheetmetal part. Doing this should let you extrude remove- just make sure you extrude a distance equal to the thickness of your sheetmetal if you want to remove material from that side only. You can use a global variable for that if you'd like.

Take a look at sketch 2 to see what I meant: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3a881554e7e4c51393a4f156/w/ff94f03e639ee3d8ca5ed90d/e/c0ec76f4aa68d315b8fc3ba3

• sean_eberhart476sean_eberhart476 Member Posts: 3
    @Jason_S & @Brooke_Bohlken
    Thanks for the workarounds.  I'm really looking forward to the next evolution of sheet metal tools.  Thanks again to both of you!
  • andrew_klugandrew_klug Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Any plans to allow negative extrude at a joint? The sheet metal tools are amazing but this seems to be the one weak spot that keeps hanging me up.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @andrew_klug can you share an example?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • andrew_klugandrew_klug Member Posts: 3 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    @andrew_klug can you share an example?
    Sure the attached picture showed a negative extrusion through a sheet metal part (grey). Then I extruded another part (blue) through it so the two will lock together. When I try and negative extrude a rectangle or create a tab at the but joint line (yellow) it wont work. Move 1 mm away and no problem. This part is just 1 example. Same issue initially described in this thread.