Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

overdefined engine assembly

Laughlin_MccooeyLaughlin_Mccooey Member Posts: 3 EDU
in assembly 3 I have somehow overdefined the assembly. this happened after adding the mates slider 1 and slider 2, these mates keep the piston inside the cylinder, after messing around with the mates I discovered that if I remove revolute 7 and slider 2 the assembly seems to work fine, other than one of the pistons going into the engine block and the crankshaft being inside the physical engine block, it isn't crucial as i can test that at least one piston works and as long as the crank shaft is where it should be it will rotate fine, but since this model is just theorhetical i'd like to be able to twist the crank and have everything move.

Document link: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2bb4380cebbc5a3e6aa5612d/w/47c1e8cc9fdbb16f822eff8c/e/0d42f3543dea18647006c301

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    Try using a cylindrical mate instead of a revolute. The slider mate is holding the axial position so there may be a tolerance issue. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Try using a cylindrical mate instead of a revolute. The slider mate is holding the axial position so there may be a tolerance issue. 
    I tried using a cylindrical mate for where the crank connects to the engine blovk, which is what i assume you were talking about, however after replacing the slider mate (and then trying with a cylindricle mate) the piston still exits the engine block.
  • Options
    Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    Can you share the document?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I added a document link in my original post, you should be able to make a copy; however I did edit many of the parts to allow them to be able to be physically assembled
  • Options
    Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    I added a document link in my original post, you should be able to make a copy; however I did edit many of the parts to allow them to be able to be physically assembled
    Correct, the link is there, but it states that it is for view only. Check again in the "share" settings for the document to see if you can enable access to others such that we may make a copy of it, I'd like to see if I can get your mates working properly