Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Wiring feature update

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
The wiring feature has been updated to make it more robust and to update the values in the feature name. The decision was made to create an entirely new feature rather than version the original due to significant code changes. Please use the new feature from now on. Existing features will still reference the original custom feature and will not be affected by this change. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6dff8f67e2ef0b33193a10d2/w/ad1dd98bb99d14ca27c2eb74/e/0904f1281fabe33fcdd58945
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited April 2017
    Hi folks.

I gave it a quick try here, but with no joy.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/514b4de3f4defa4f9cf22c77/w/941e3539c37e98d9e3ce51f7/e/924f95dbe0d84a89cf7b942d

Note, using a diameter of 0.1mm worked.

I thought this seemed like a valid path.

(Q1) Bug or user error above?

(Q2) For options such as "2 wire" how do we control where the additional cores are positioned?  (I tried adding more with the intention that they followed the lettering direction on the top plane.  Lets cal that horizontal.  Instead they were vertical.)

Cheers, Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    jon_sorrellsjon_sorrells Onshape Employees Posts: 51
    Hi Owen,

Usually that's caused by the wire bending too sharply at the beginning or end, and intersecting itself there.  You can either increase the starting/ending straightness to make it not bend as sharply there, or create a plane with a normal facing the next point.  The wire will start out going in the direction of the sketch plane.

Right now there isn't an option to rotate the default wire profiles (we actually coded that, but chose not to include it, to make the feature simpler to use).  You can use the 'custom profile' option for the wires, and create a sketch oriented the way you want.  You can also make a copy of the custom feature, and remove the 'UIHint : ALWAYS_HIDDEN' from the clocking angle parameter.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @jon_sorrells

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate your time.

Ah-ha, I'd assumed the starting direction would be normal to the sketch plane, so your explanation makes sense. The wire going in the direction of the plane seems less obvious, especially if you start is a vertex not a line.

This was my assumption as to what it would build,  with the "starting straightness" meaning a length of wire that remained straight, and normal to my designated sketch plane, before being allowed to bend.  Ooops.

I will play test further. :)

As for switching on the clocking in the FS, that's great news.  Love FS.

Thanks again,

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    heiko_schindlerheiko_schindler Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm using the latest version of the wiring feature and have some trouble with using the same sketches for multiple wires like done in the demo housing. 

There are 2 wires that using the same sketches for their path.

In my case this is not possible, a sketch can only used once... what is my mistake here?
    You can find my little simple test-wiring here https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d8d2126f614fc4bc9939fd39/w/5b10bdbfd9f5ba36c2dba67f/e/2ab6bf78a3df05bd1a51068c

thx Heiko