Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Copy part from one parts studio to another.

scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
I have a blank enclosure panel I'd like to copy to new parts studios to create new panels based on the blank one.  How??  When I select the copy option on a part in one studio, I don't get a paste option when I change studios 

Answers

• scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
    Well, right after I posted this I noticed the DUPLICATE feature on a partstudio tab.... so never mind. Thanks. 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    You could also use a derive feature in your new studio if you want your part to reference the original blank. However, if you just want to do a copy with no reference to save some initial work the above would be the best method. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Lyle_WalshLyle_Walsh Member Posts: 46
    HELP  I don't get it.  Seems the program is counter-intuitive for me.
    The above user seemed to figure it I out but when i duplicate I still can't paste and now I just have a gazzilion windows of "copy of part studio2".  I made an assembly, and could bring parts from different part studios into it but then there is no option to get the boolean operator.  I am trying to cut 6 slots out of a threaded tube.  I made the threaded tube in one part assembly and the cutout in another.  Now I can't get them to add each other's parts.  Am I approaching it wrong?
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @Lyle_Walsh
    Use Copy to clipboard instead of Duplicate. 
    HELP  I don't get it.  Seems the program is counter-intuitive for me.
    The above user seemed to figure it I out but when i duplicate I still can't paste and now I just have a gazzilion windows of "copy of part studio2".  I made an assembly, and could bring parts from different part studios into it but then there is no option to get the boolean operator.  I am trying to cut 6 slots out of a threaded tube.  I made the threaded tube in one part assembly and the cutout in another.  Now I can't get them to add each otherAm I approaching it wrong?
    edited May 2017
    I can't get anything to paste. I select the part in Part Studio 1, R click to copy and the transform window pops up, copy box is checked.  I then go into part studio #2 and click in part window, nothing, Ctrl-v doesn't work.  Then tried clicking in the window, still nothing with ctrl-v and no option to paste.  

THis seems so simple but I am totally flummoxed, please step me through this.

btw I also don't see copy to clipboard when I select the part- Where do I find that?
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    My understanding of your question is that you need to use the derived feature.  This video (from when it was just released) shows the quick usage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5y3P8vs5fY
    You might also consider doing a part pattern to just make copies of the part within the same part studio: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/linearpattern.htm

BTW, to delete extraneous tabs you created with your previous experiments, you can right click on the tab and select "Delete".
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    THat's it, thanks, I would never have guessed that.  Love the vids they are very helpful.

Is there a way to get a part to move In Part Studio by freehand, i.e. by its handles like you can in assembly?
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Yes, the transform feature with the "by xyz" option will do that (https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/transform.htm).  If you're going to be making holes, though, I recommend the transform feature with one of the more precise/parametric options.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc