Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can't print drawing

scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
I can print assemblies, parts and other documents, I cannot print a drawing.  I get a little box at the top of the page with a P in it with an "x" to the right.  It won't print.  ??

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Check to make sure you disabled your pop-up blocker on your browser for OS.
  • Options
    Why would it work for other tabs on the document but not the drawing?  
  • Options
    Didn't know you had to export to pdf first.  got it. 
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind this is the functionality of the browser, not Onshape. For a proper drawing print, you should export as a pdf first.
    Is there any chance of being able to print a drawing directly to a printer without having to create a PDF first? 
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    edited May 2017
    Keep in mind this is the functionality of the browser, not Onshape. For a proper drawing print, you should export as a pdf first.
    Is there any chance of being able to print a drawing directly to a printer without having to create a PDF first? 
    @michael3424 Currently if you click print in the workspace menu while viewing a drawing tab, we will create a PDF of the drawing and open it in another tab  -this is different than an export of the drawing to a PDF file.  @scott_caskey Is probably having this tab blocked by a pop-up blocker function in the browser.  This is what @Tony_C_ had mentioned earlier in the discussion.  If you want to ensure these are not blocked by a browser, you can use something like this [*.]onshape.com in the managed exceptions area of the settings in the browser for pop-ups.

The print function in part studios and assembly studios is more like a print screen.  Drawings are different because of the inherent importance of scale when printing a drawing.  The PDF function respects the scale of the drawing.  
  • Options
    PeteYodis said:

@michael3424 Currently if you click print in the workspace menu while viewing a drawing tab, we will create a PDF of the drawing and open it in another tab  -this is different than an export of the drawing to a PDF file.  @scott_caskey Is probably having this tab blocked by a pop-up blocker function in the browser.  This is what @Tony_C_ had mentioned earlier in the discussion.  If you want to ensure these are not blocked by a browser, you can use something like this [*.]onshape.com in the managed exceptions area of the settings in the browser for pop-ups.

The print function in part studios and assembly studios is more like a print screen.  Drawings are different because of the inherent importance of scale when printing a drawing.  The PDF function respects the scale of the drawing.  
    Sorry to be dense, but I don't see a "print" icon or menu selection anywhere in Onshape when I am viewing a drawing tab.  I can export the drawing to a locally saved PDF from the drawing tab but I'd like to avoid the export step and just print the drawing directly from Onshape.

I use Chrome and Adblock Plus and have [*.]Onshape.com white-listed for both.  I must be missing something very obvious.
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @michael3424  It's the same for part studios and assembly studios... 
  • Options
    Perfect Pete - thanks for clearing the cobwebs between my ears!