Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Dimension on hidden line.

scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
Any reason I can't put a dimension on a hidden line in a drawing???

Best Answer

Answers

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In theory you should not create a dimension with respect to a hidden line
    You can create a section view and dimension it
    Unfortunately it is currently not possible to create:
    - A partial section view
    - An inclined section view (other than horizontal or vertical)
    - An aligned section view

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I too would like to occasionally add a dimension to the hidden line. I know it's not to the standard but sometimes the easiest way to convey a position without other views or sections and extra drawing sheets. 

I'd also like to able to add centre lines to hidden lines. Not sure if this outside the standards but I find it extremely useful to add centre lines to hidden lines showing holes through plates and lugs on my drawings.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I too would like to occasionally add a dimension to the hidden line. I know it's not to the standard but sometimes the easiest way to convey a position without other views or sections and extra drawing sheets. 

I'd also like to able to add centre lines to hidden lines. Not sure if this outside the standards but I find it extremely useful to add centre lines to hidden lines showing holes through plates and lugs on my drawings.
    It does not seem wrong to me that you can not create a dimension with respect to a hidden line. But we need the appropriate tools to be able to add all kinds of views, dimensions and information to our drawings. This includes be able to add centerlines to hidden lines.

Even in a simple example like the one in the image we are currently having many difficulties in creating a drawing with all the complete information.

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
    OK.  Sometimes  you don't want 5 sectional views on your drawing just so you can show some dimensions that would be easy to do in one drawing with a few dimensions on hidden lines. 
    Thanks