Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I extract the belt properties ( total length / width / thickness) from the belt feature

dany_maruanidany_maruani Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
Hi 
I created a belt trough the "belt" feature . Can I get some properties from the belt I created and retrieve it in BOM or drawing ?
I need essentially the total length (the width is given by openBOM) .

Thanks  for the great job done by the Onshape team.

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Hi @dany_maruani - if you are using version 2 of the belt feature, the length should be called out in the feature name. I can't think of a way to automatically add it to a BOM since it is in the feature name not the part name.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can pass value of belt length to the variable using "measure distance extended" FS, but there are no global variables, so I don't know how to pass value from variable to the BOM or drawing. the FS itself is by the link, you need ''perimeter' option
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/77baa8153589a7fc5f289829/w/cffd0f2a7077380d5378a885/e/d3174bf5315e6aafcb889367

• dany_maruanidany_maruani Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Thank you for the help. It's a too high level for me !
    But how openBOM extracts the dimensions from the parts ?
    Does it means there are dimensions in the properties of the parts ?
  • mbattistellombattistello Member, Developers Posts: 51 ✭✭
    openBom is probably using a bounding box around the part. Belt width is ok as its just the thickness of the box. Not sure how you would get an accurate length. You would need for the measure distance FS to push a variable and then openBom would need to be able to read that variable/property on demand.