Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to make a surface rough

richard_blackwell730richard_blackwell730 Member Posts: 3
edited July 2017 in Community Support
Help - what is the best way to make a surface rough? I have two parts which move with little pressure pushing them together. I do not want them to slip hence I need some sort of texture to increase the friction between the surfaces.
Any ideas or guidance would be much appreciated.
(PS: Clearly I am a noob but I am sucking up all the help I can get)
Thanks

Best Answers

Answers

• richard_blackwell730richard_blackwell730 Member Posts: 3
    PS: It will be for two circular parts (like washers) 3D printed using PLA plastic. The circles slide against each other but I want them to grip slightly not slip.
  • daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Generally the surfaces of my 3d prints aren't very smooth to begin with so you might not need to add any roughness.  If you need a solution in onshape, you could extrude whatever shape you want as a new part, then use a linear or radial pattern to duplicate it.  Finally a boolean union to join all the parts together.  Depending on the application, this might result in too much sticktivity, in which case I'm not too sure what you should do.  
  • jrs_spedleyjrs_spedley Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Don't think there is a rough option on onshape but perhaps there is a gnarling option for sheet metal work.
    As for 3d printing, you can't get anywhere near that level of detail on a print but you should be able to buy a filament with the properties your require.  Often they can be bought in smaller spools of 10m or so for testing.  I suspect a wooden one may be the kind of thing you want - PLA with wood fibres in it.
  • richard_blackwell730richard_blackwell730 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you to everyone for the comments and ideas. You gave my brain the jump start it needed and I ended up changing my design completely. (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2448236)
    The advice received is invaluable and will guide further projects. Thanks.