Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Problem with the exercice "Basic features 1" of "Introduction to CAD"

Hello everyone,
I'm learning how to use onshape with "Onshape basis, introduction to CAD". I
And I'm getting mad with the basic features 1! My volume is 1.516 inch3 and it isn't the correct answer… and I don't know why. I spent hours without any change.
You can see my work here:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5720b43fb61be851e8e66fd9/w/07b8823a7e8c2ea1c87515ab/e/def78185f703154e799d8f84
What's wrong with it?
Can someone help me?
Thanks,
Cédric

Answers

• cédric_cretegnycédric_cretegny Member Posts: 3
    I have modified my work and now my volume is 1.650 inch3 and it is always wrong…
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Is the correct model given in the answer?  If so can you boolean one from the other to see where the difference is?

OwS.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • cédric_cretegnycédric_cretegny Member Posts: 3
    The problem, I do not have the correct answer. Is someone know if the corrections of all excercices exist somewhere in the net ?
    @noa Can you help here?

Cheers, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    @cédric_cretegny

Do you have a link to the question?
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    edited August 2017
    While not published "officially" with detailed walk throughs, we do have the numerical solutions here: https://docs.google.com/a/onshape.com/document/d/12TghwdCibYQFwlLJbyA02jKglQoKzFwaxvahqeOwTvc/edit?usp=drive_web

In general, if you are able to post a public link to your doc, there may be people who can help you debug.
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
    edited August 2017
    @cédric_cretegny

Here is a place to start:-

You see I've:-

(1) Taken your part and derived in the answer's part as an overlay. 
    (2) Copied both parts via a transform.
    (3) Boolean subtracted the results to show the exact differences.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/97e91d0a58ba5a94db44bf34/w/c708fda8e13ecc4aee694a27/e/1595717b3ccac7b508d2e099

Sorry, I've not read through the exercise to see what the problem is.

Hope that helps, Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    There is probably a better place to ask this but for the moment here will suffice.
    When I select the link that @owen_sparks has just posted, rather than opening a document that relates to this topic my browser takes me to my own recently opened documents with a message at the top saying "Failed to load document for workspace. Resource does not exist, or you do not have permission to access it." This is the second time this has happened in 2 different threads over the past few days.
    I am using an up-to date Chrome 64bit browser on 64bit Windows 10 and I have flushed the cache to see if this clears the problem and it doesn't!
    Anyone else?
    Sorry @brian_jordan in this instance that was my mistake.   :(

The document exists but I'd failed to make it public.  So when I clicked the link to test it it worked fine, but when you clicked it it wasn't available so is defaulted you back to your recent docs.

Sorry for wasting your time, and please retry if you're still interested.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @owen_sparks You didn't waste my time and I am now able to look at the document. In fact this has been educational because you have confirmed that what I thought was a problem is in fact the default behaviour - something I had missed.