Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Centering a Revolute Mate on a Squarish Hole

I am an old dog trying to learn new tricks!

How can I center a Revolute Mate on a squarish hole?

This is a Vex robotics channel. Even the axle is square too but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Need to build 4 bar, 6 bar, scissor lifts. This is for middle school kids who are building robots, if it's too hard the kids are not going to use it. Originally they were trying to use Inventor which made me weep because it is so hard.

Vex has a library of Vex parts that could be imported into Onshape.

I can put mate connectors on the part before putting it in an Assembly but that is messy and dumb to put a mate connector in all of the holes in the part. Yes, it would be perfect if the holes were circular but this is what Vex uses.

Thanks for your expertise and comments.

kyokoo
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    kris_yokoo464kris_yokoo464 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the answers from the pros! All good suggestions. I would rather not place the mates in the Part Studio, but then again it would make it easier for the kids to snap things together, especially if they share a common library. It would be nice to have everything ready to snap in place from gears to structural pieces.

I'll ask another question on the best way to align channels! Thank you for your expertise.

I'm working with the teacher of Percy Julian Middle School program, this is what middle school kids are doing now:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/7805503@N04/33372881000/in/album-72157682050635355

We are looking for a collaborative design program to allow the kids to mess around with design ideas.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO

:):):)
    Philip, that works much better than my suggestion which needed the rotate, I remember this one.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977