Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Part features

rohit_korirohit_kori Member Posts: 3
Is there any way make sure that when exporting and importing a part the operation history is intact? e.g. If i export a onshape part into solidworks the operation history of that part also comes along?
Tagged:

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sorry, no, you're exporting a dumb solid. 

As far as I'm aware this is a limitation of all CAD software, as the feature methods differ there is no universal language to export with.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Owen speaks the truth! 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • grochinogrochino Moderator, Onshape Employees, User Group Leader Posts: 44

The current state of the CAD industry is that the feature history is lost in translation when transferring between CAD systems. Some other CAD programs have the ability to rebuild a feature history from the model geometry, but the accuracy of this operation is incredibly variable, depending on how certain features were modeled.

Owen speaks the truth! 
    Thanks Philip, if you don't mind I'm going to print that out, nail a stick to it and just hold it up next time someone comes into the office with a stupid request...

O.S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Sound like a t-shirt order and new backround image for desktop =)
    //rami
    3dcad said:
    Sound like a t-shirt order and new background image for desktop =)
    Sounds like a plan, I'll give one each to my followers. :p
    HWM-Water Ltd