Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

use variable in assembly

Hi,

I've been trying to use variable in assembly, but I'm not successful.
Who knows how can use a variable from part in the assembly?

Thank you

Best Answer

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sorry variables only extend to PartStudios today.

To what end do you wish to use them?  There may be another approach.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • mohammad_hajimohammad_haji Member Posts: 7
    To use in unpaired or not direct related to or more parts in 2 different assemblies.
    For example, relation between a cylinder bore to a lever in assembly. one number using for a 2 different type of calculation. Force & length. 
  • mohammad_hajimohammad_haji Member Posts: 7
    Why ca not use a variable number like this:
    #X@Part1 ?
  • jim_sungjim_sung Member Posts: 1
    I'm modeling a dining table.  I have a parametric variable called "reveal" that is used by other parametric variables that in turn constrain various parts, so it is needed in the Part Studio.  However, I also need the parameter in Assembly ("offset" in "Fastened mate"), but as pointed out by @owen_sparks, parametric variables are not visible in Assembly.

I look at configuration variables, but I don't think it is applicable to my use case.

• Scott_MorrisScott_Morris Member Posts: 17 EDU
    I would like to set the offset distance of many components to a variable so i do not have to visit all the connections to update the distances as things change.
  • _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 258
    I would like to set the offset distance of many components to a variable so i do not have to visit all the connections to update the distances as things change.
    You can drive your design from the top with a Variable Studio - those variables can be used in Part Studios and Assemblies.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Ons solution would be to have some sort of a skeleton sketch that you can assemble your parts to. Build the offset distances into the sketches.
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    You can do this if you define your variable in a "variable studio"