Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I don't understand files and sketches

mario_darceuilmario_darceuil Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
In a document how do I do different files of different parts? Also do different parts go on different sketches? Suppose I am modifying a part to make another part how do i create a different file for this? Do different parts go in different sketches, files or folders?

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Nooooooooooo.

Think of a "document" as a project folder.  You can put as many parts, assemblies and drawings in it as you wish.  You can even upload things to it like PDF's, videos, firmware files etc to it.

OS excels in multi-part modelling where you can design many parts that fit together in one "PartStudio".

I highly recommend looking at the tutorials / help centre / videos / free webinars before getting in too deep.  That'll make your docs so very much easier to get to grips with.

Cheers,

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    It does take a minute to get use to how OS makes things, or rather how you need to think about how you make things.
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    At about the 6min mark is a good explanation on how parts work and how you build them. 

https://www.onshape.com/videos/top-down-design-techniques-in-onshape-03-07-17
  • mario_darceuilmario_darceuil Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    I duplicated and renamed that helped. Thank you.