Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Skeleton driven assemblies: creating families of parts and assemblies .

exworksexworks Member Posts: 3
Is there a way to create in Onshape families of parts and assemblies for using them independently on different skeleton driven assemblies?

My idea is to create a master assembly where I only put the sketches defining the general geometry and then snapping on these sketches the adaptive parts I modeled separately. These parts must be able to adapt to the skeleton using geometrical drivers making it possible to combine parametrization and positioning.

The modeling of compatible parts is a bit tedious, but once they are ready, the process is very intuitive and it’s like dressing up a manikin. Back in school, I was able to do exactly this using a software called TopSolid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA-q3W7Fc2o).

Any ideas?

Thank you for your time!

Best Answer

Answers

• exworksexworks Member Posts: 3
    mahir said:
    You can design parts in context to an assembly, but I believe the part studio needs to be in the same document as the assembly.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/#in-context.htm
    Thank you for your reply mahir. Yes, in-context design seems the only way in Onshape. In reality for most of the parts I need the skeleton is just a parallelepiped and I can simply work with parameters. In any case working with other software I found out that creating a library of parts with a "sticky" behaviour can be quite effective.

Think of a custom made bookcase where I can include adaptive windows elements I designed for another object and then play with proportions as much as I want. Onshape with its collaborative features would be the perfect tool for playing around.
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    No clue.......But I dig that music in the video.