Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Certified Models - screws

Hi ! 
I used to search for screws, nuts,... in the 3Dx Certified Models library. I remember it was very convenient with categories, (ex : Screws/ISO/M3/...).
But now it seems to be classified only by manufacturers. I'd like to use normalized screws, no matter the manufacturer. 
Is the former way to search is still existing somewhere ? 

Thank you for your answers. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Ornella_TortoriciOrnella_Tortorici Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Ok, thank you
    So the previous way to search screws is no more accessible ? 

For exemple, in one of my models I had imported (few months ago) a "Hexagon socket head cap screw ISO 4762 - M2 x 8" from the "3DX Certified Models". Now, I've just try to paste the name of this model in the Search field of this library and I see no result corresponding to the screw... So you have deleted all those parts ? 

For now, waiting for your supporting standard hardware, I have to dowload standard 3D parts elsewhere if I want ISO screws in my model ? 

It was so convenient to choose a type and then the diameter and lenght and other parameters !

(Sorry for my late response, I had not the e-mail notifications active for the forum. 
    And sorry for my english, I'm french ;))
  • dennis_20dennis_20 Member Posts: 87 EDU
    edited December 2017
    PeteYodis said:
    @Ornella_Tortorici We are working on supporting standard hardware in Onshape directly.  When that day arrives for our users, I think your question here will be answered.  
    That is one of the pivotal items that must be in place before I venture further into Onshape.  Knowing that an OS-supplied fastener library is in the works keeps me coming back to check the status of Onshape's development.  I see no point in everyone making their own libraries of fasteners when a good library based on industry standards (similar to SolidWorks' Toolbox) should come from OS.
    dennis_20 said:
    PeteYodis said:
    @Ornella_Tortorici We are working on supporting standard hardware in Onshape directly.  When that day arrives for our users, I think your question here will be answered.  
    That is one of the pivotal items that must be in place before I venture further into Onshape.  Knowing that an OS-supplied fastener library is in the works keeps me coming back to check the status of Onshape's development.  I see no point in everyone making their own libraries of fasteners when a good library based on industry standards (similar to SolidWorks' Toolbox) should come from OS.
    Yes, it is a very important feature for conception. And I don't understand the fact that it was actually existing few months ago, since I used it, and it has desapeared ! 
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO

Ornella_Tortorici said:And I don't understand the fact that it was actually existing few months ago, since I used it, and it has desapeared ! 
    Yeah, there was a thread about this a while back.  I believe one sub-distributor got weird and the files were pulled :(

Given OS's track record I have a warm fuzzy feeling about how they will implement a fastener library :)

Cheers,

Owen S/
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Thank you @owen_sparks. You think it will be soon ? (days, weeks, months, years,...?)
    edited December 2017
    Sure thing.

Hard to say, OS are firm in not giving out "due by dates", but instead release features once done and well tested.  This also allows priorities to change should a bunch of us request feature B be put ahead of feature A, and then the users expecting A being upset.

I think we can rule out years so one of the other 2 would be my bet!

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Oh, perhaps once it's finished we can have a purge of all the individual M6 nuts that have been modeled.  I bet we could give Amazon a load of storage back then. B)  
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Ok, so I searched the existing request features on the subject and I found the one @dennis_20 made last year : https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1407/public-standard-parts-library so I voted for it and I hope it will arrive soon. 

For now, I will import step files from outside libraries and it will be more time consuming :(
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    For now, I will import step files from outside libraries and it will be more time consuming :(
    you can add all the files in one assembly, say in SW and import it by one zip file using SW pack and go functionality, at least it could save some time
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Thank you @owen_sparks. You think it will be soon ? (days, weeks, months, years,...?)
    I'd say months. I'd certainly like to see this at worst in the first 1/4 of next year. This is a much-needed improvement which will clean up current higglety pigglety workflows for add adding fasteners.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977