Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - January 2nd, 2018

124»

Comments

• Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    @brucebartlett
    https://www.iso.org/ics/21.060.30/x/p/1/u/1/w/1/d/1 doesn't seem to show there are any.
    Please file a ticket pointing me to an ISO standard containing ISO you are looking for. 
    Support & QA
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    PeteYodis said:
    I would like to see a Drawings Configuration  B)

I need to automate a large number of similar drawings. 
    @sebastian_glanzner Are you familiar with tabulated drawings?  Would that approach suit for the scenario you have in mind?  
    I know what you mean with tabulated drawings, but unfortunately this is not feasible for my situation. I just have to many different drawings, so the table with the dimensions would be really big. 

For me it would be useful to create one "Master Drawing" with all views, BOMs, dimension and comments. Then the "Slave Drawings" would all update if I add a new comment or a new dimension to the "Master Drawing".
  • Ornella_TortoriciOrnella_Tortorici Member Posts: 20 ✭✭

I have a question about the results of the BOM using the new standard content configurations..
    I have multiple fasteners having the same name but different configuration in an assembly.

Ex :

• 4 Hex head screw grade A & B ISO 4017 (M3 x 12)
    • 2 Hex head screw grade A & B ISO 4017  (M3 x 16)

When I create the BOM with openBOM, I obtain 6 Hex head screw grade A & B ISO 4017, not taking into account the diameter and lenght. 

Is there a way to discriminate the different configurations of a same part into the BOM ? 

I tryed to edit the part number for the different configurations but it does not seem to work. 

Thank you for your answers

• Ornella_TortoriciOrnella_Tortorici Member Posts: 20 ✭✭

I have a question about the results of the BOM using the new standard content configurations..
    I have multiple fasteners having the same name but different configuration in an assembly.

Ex :

• 4 Hex head screw grade A & B ISO 4017 (M3 x 12)
    • 2 Hex head screw grade A & B ISO 4017  (M3 x 16)

When I create the BOM with openBOM, I obtain 6 Hex head screw grade A & B ISO 4017, not taking into account the diameter and lenght. 

Is there a way to discriminate the different configurations of a same part into the BOM ? 

I tryed to edit the part number for the different configurations but it does not seem to work. 

Thank you for your answers

I've just received the response from an openBOM guy : 

"This is a new functionality Onshape introduced in their recent update. Unfortunately, no API was released before and during the update. So, we are working now with Onshape development to get APIs needed to extract the data in the right way. The problem is that you cannot change the names in Onshape for standard content part (another question we are discussing).

The first fix will be available soon (2-3 weeks) - it will solve the problem you just reported.. Additional fixes will need to wait until 1.75 release of Onshape, which will bring needed APIs. It will take care of additional data such dimensions, masses, etc. we're extracting from Onshape. "

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @brian_brady We will also deliver the ability to show sketches in existing views - so the hybrid of model geometry and sketch geometry existing together.  The functionality we just added is a view of a sketch only.  It's useful in some scenarios, but not all.  
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    PeteYodis said:
    @brian_brady We will also deliver the ability to show sketches in existing views - so the hybrid of model geometry and sketch geometry existing together.  The functionality we just added is a view of a sketch only.  It's useful in some scenarios, but not all.  
    Thanks for the heads-up @PeteYodis. The functionality that was added is great, I just always want more. 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Jason_S said:
    @brucebartlett
    https://www.iso.org/ics/21.060.30/x/p/1/u/1/w/1/d/1 doesn't seem to show there are any.
    Please file a ticket pointing me to an ISO standard containing ISO you are looking for. 
    Hi Jason,  Not sure why the split lock washers are not in the ISO standard. When I am choosing components I am not thinking about standards. First thought is metric or imperial. In this case, I chose ISO because that's the only option for Metic. My second requirement is finding a fastener the is either in stock at my company or readily available, it would be nice now to maybe have a filter to only show company fasteners or supplier filter. At the moment I find the standard content menu is not easiest to follow maybe this because it follows the standards structure. 

Here's the part I was looking for on mcmaster carr, interestingly it not shown as ISO. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    edited January 2018
    I knew that was what you were looking for :) . Please file an improvement request for the ability to more easily find content, regardless of standard.
    Support & QA
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Jason_S said:
    I knew that was what you were looking for :) . Please file an improvement request for the ability to more easily find content, regardless of standard.
    Here it is ... https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8144/ability-to-more-easily-find-content-regardless-of-standard/p1?new=1
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • anscarlettanscarlett Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Any ETA when these updates will hit the Android App?
  • Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 78 PRO
    I love the new Configurations, I use it all the time. 

BUT, I need it in Assemblies as well  :)

I hope you are releasing this very soon. I the meantime I will make many assemblies with only small differences :(

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @matt_strong with today's release (the ability to drive sketch text by an expression), text configuration variables can be used without custom features.  I know you were holding your breath for this :smile:
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc