Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Where's the SAVE button?

rkagererrkagerer Member Posts: 9
edited January 2018 in General
I realize OnShape doesn't have a Save button, and that it continuously saves my work to the cloud.  However, sometimes I want to take a "snapshot" of the way things are, so I can try something out and revert back later if it doesn't work out.

I used to use Versions for this.  They were really handy.  But then I learned the hard way it's impossible to delete a version once created.  That's no good for me.  I don't want to publish my experimental work for all to see, until it's stable.  Now I have garbage in the history I can't clean up.

Can we prune old versions yet if they aren't being referenced in any other designs?  I know there was a popular feature request for that.
Can I create lightweight branches and then delete them later when I want to dispose of them?

All the decades I've used computers this common use case was very simple.  Hit File | Save to create a copy.  Now with this snazzy cloud thing I seem to have lost this most basic function.

Any solution out there I've missed?

Comments

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hit File | Save to create a copy.  Now with this snazzy cloud thing I seem to have lost this most basic function.

that is almost everytime not as easy in file-based cads as it sounds. you would likely damage your references from the assembly this way, that why you should copy all the project. in OS to eliminate all the versions you can copy workspace after the job is done - the new document with fresh history will be created

• Options
    Hi Konstantin. I understand what you're saying, and yes, in traditional CAD I make sure to do a "deep copy" that grabs not only the document I'm working with but also the entire hierarchy of any other referenced documents.

But what I'm really looking for is the equivalent operation in Onshape, in a  manner that doesn't leave behind tidbits impossible to later clean up.  This isn't just a matter of tidiness - it's a serious privacy issue, too.  I could foresee a situation where some engineer uploads confidential / proprietary work without realizing it then wants to remove it from the public facing web afterward and runs into a snag.
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "copy workspace" command would create a new OS document from the workspace you are currently in without all the versions

• Options
    Cool!  Thanks I didn't know about that.  It's a bit of a sledgehammer compared to being able to snapshot "private versions", but I suspect it will do the job.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    You can also create a branch from a version and delete the branch afterwards. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Perfect.
  • Options
    florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    You can also create a branch from a version and delete the branch afterwards. 
    And you can use OS as you use version control in software:

At the start create two branches. One for development and one for releases. As you can see in the example there was no direct edit in the main branch. Only one merge from "Dev". https://cad.onshape.com/documents/937e12e258e877b6c21d8aaa/w/2b90bf1c99ca889b5ef97068/e/adbcdc4659a4c899253e5c19