Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to remove several constraints at a time?

tj_thornileytj_thorniley Member Posts: 65
I often want to revisit a previous design and make small changes, tune the dimensions, etc.
But every time I do that, it ends up over constraining the sketch, or some similar issue.
How can I remove all (or several selected) constraints in a sketch, all in one go?
As opposed to clicking every single one and do it individually?

For instance, I 3D printed a prototype, and turns out i need to change a dimension from 15mm to 19mm, but it became over-constrained and broke the whole sketch.

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.

Currently you can only do them one at a time I'm afraid but there are IR's for changes to this.

The trick is to fully constrain the sketch the first time around, and then change those dimensions on the edit rather than to add new conflicting ones.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Pretty sure that's exactly what happened.
    Then all I did was increase the value of an existing dimension by 4mm.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Above you have a 19mm dim conflicting with a 15mm dim.  You also have blue unconstrained geometry.

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    That's right. I increased one dimension from 15mm to 19mm. That's 4mm. That's what I'm talking about.
    Actually, just noticed I dimensioned the same gape twice at two different points.
    I thought you were referring to the one on the opposite side that is linked symmetrically.

Anyway, it seems to be working fine now. I didn't have to add constraints to the blue geometry, in this instance at least. 
    Still it's something I encounter often. Would be nice to have that extra control over the constraints. Maybe a keyboard shortcut.

• Options
    rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    How can I remove all (or several selected) constraints in a sketch, all in one go?
    As opposed to clicking every single one and do it individually?
    I just found a neat trick for that. If you view the sketch from orthogonal side e.g. Right in your case
    Then the constraints are shown off the plane and it is easier to select (dragging from the left or right) the whole bunch and delete them. smile:
  • Options
    shawnrwshawnrw Member Posts: 43 PRO
    Anybody find a way to delete all constraints?