Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Offset Dimension

gal_razgal_raz Member, Mentor Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited September 2014 in Using Onshape
I prefer the offset sketch without the auto offset dimension that Onshape add now. What do you think ?
Gal Raz
Tagged:

Comments

• gal_razgal_raz Member, Mentor Posts: 39 ✭✭
    and, the same goes for sketch fillet.
    Gal Raz
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Can you explain what behavior you would like to see in more detail? If I have more detail, I can write up a quick improvement.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    Lou, the offset command will add the offset dimension, see the attached image . I prefer to leave it under defined so I will e able to add the dimension later
    Gal Raz
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    No, disagree. I think you need the dimension to help tie things down. Offset can lead to sketch hell if you lose track. Having an undefined offset would be very hard to control. Besides, can you even have an undimensioned offset constraint in DCubed? Delete the dim on all other D cubed apps I use deletes the offset constraint.
    It is like in the old days when Pro/E fans insist that under-defined is always bad . And, why should I care about D-Cube limitations?
    Gal Raz
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Because D Cubed is the constraints engine that drives Onshape? if it isn't in that it doesn't go in it (easily).

In any case my point was in response to your open question. I'm just basing my experience of using offset (which I think is a critical constraint) in multiple applications - some using D Cubed, some a home brew version. In my experience, offset is one constraint that can totally screw up a sketch very quickly, hence why I prefer to tie down that one.

I don't think under defined is bad at all - far from it - just the offset.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Under-defined sketch geometry is always suspect to odd behavior since nothing keeps a parent/child relation and there is no hierarchy of importance. When dimensions are changed, we tend to have the "fingers crossed" feeling that our model doesn't blow up or flip on us. Best to restrain the geometry as much as we can prior to modification.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    Our offsets are independent of the dimension. So you can delete the dimension and the offset relationship will remain, and can be constrained in other ways. We could potentially create every offset without a dimension but we considered that the majority of offsets would want a dimension. All of that applies to fillets also.

The way we solve in general, sketch offset or other constraints, is symmetric, and there is no sense of history within a sketch. In other words, when you make an offset you are specifying that two curves are offset from each other. There is no "boss". Same with parallel, perpendicular, coincident, etc. As a result changing an offset dimension may move things in a way other than the way that you may expect based on your knowledge of the history.
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
    @Paul Chastell‌ thank you for the answer. I can accept the auto dimension for offset and fillet at my local instal CAD but, OS don't response the same. the feedback is much slower and dealing with the dimensions make things worse. My location is far from your servers and performance is an issue !
    Gal Raz
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 345
    Hi @Gal. We're working on bringing our servers closer to you. In the current pre-production phase we are running in 2 opposite corners of the world (I'm not a geometry guy). We are working through some performance issues now and when we have those resolved we will be expanding our deployment to allow more people to be "close" to our servers. Your feedback about what specific operations are slow for you is valuable to us. Feel free to post here or send in-product feedback.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
    Hi @John Rousseau‌ , no matter were the servers are, a slight difference in performance between desktop and web application will always be. But, if you will build the UI smarter and not try to mimic the desktop app then, the user will never notice any difference.
    Gal Raz
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Especially part dragging in assemblies is laggy. At least in Belgium.

Dries
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 345
    Hi @DriesV‌. We are aware of the drag performance in assemblies and are working hard on improving that. What else is slow from Belgium?
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
    Hi @John Rousseau‌ . From Israel, switching between tabs is slow
    Gal Raz
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited September 2014
    @John Rousseau
    Things that tend to be a lot slower (compared to desktop CAD):
    • Feature handle dragging in graphics area
    • Model regeneration
    • Sketch entity selection
    • Sketch trimming
    Dries