Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Thread Pitch w/ ThreadCreator Tool

TarabichTarabich Member Posts: 29
edited February 2018 in Community Support
I'm a little confused regarding how to specify pitch. I'm not very knowledgeable in regards to thread but, I'm trying to make a square thread that has a pitch of 0.2 threads per mm (2 thread every 10mm). How would I achieve this with the thread creator tool?

Answers

• Options
    Would the pitch be 5mm?
  • Options
    It isn't a "specified" thread, it was measured out by me, so should I be able to find the pitch by measuring thread per mm, or should I find the distance between threads?
  • Options
    michael_watsonmichael_watson Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    When using metric units, threads description is based on pitch which is just the distance between threads. When using Imperial units, the thread description is based on TPI (threads per inch). So in your example of 2 threads for every 10mm, the pitch would be 5mm.***(maybe)

***Just to make sure I am understanding what you are describing, I did two quick threads. On the left is a 5mm pitch that shows 2 threads per 10mm (5mm pitch) and the thread on the right shows a 10mm pitch. Just remember pitch is the distance between threads.