Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extrusions on Parts studio item do not stay located when the item is inserted into an asssembly.

phil_joycephil_joyce Member Posts: 13 PRO
When I move the part studio I have inserted into an assembly, some of the extrusions become dislocated. (If I fix them, it fixes the whole part studio in place.) What am I missing?
See Assembly 1 in my 'Integrating Sphere Support' drawing. The dowel pegs are not staying with the Retainer, (the part embossed 244-18041). Similarly, with the 'C Frame Vertical' extrusions.
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Also, you may enjoy this course:
    https://learn.onshape.com/courses/fundamentals-multi-part-part-studios

A lot of the parts in your Document look like they are geometrically related, and could be easier to build in one Part Studio.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • phil_joycephil_joyce Member Posts: 13 PRO
    The change took some time to propagate, which was confusing. I deleted the Retainer from the Assembly twice before I finally got the version in there that I had edited to 'New' as advised.

Thank you very much for the links. The 'Boolean' in particular.
    I answered too soon. The Retainer parts still separate! Unexpectedly, they are not linking as 1 item, but 3. The dowel pegs underside are still not part of the whole. Confusingly, the embossed text on the Retainer top surface does not separate out like that.
    Thanks for replying and explaining my error. Sorry, I am as yet very unfamiliar with who actually sees what I post and now beginning to realise how naive my assumptions about this forum have been. Useful info that screen grabs can be posted. I had no idea that was possible. Thanks too for that.
    For those still with the patience, these downward extrusions separate from the part when the item is placed in an assembly. Other extrusions such as embossed text do not do this. Why do some extrusions stay put and these dowel pegs not?

Text Extrusion:

Inserted into Assembly: Dowel pegs not attached, but the text extrusion stays put. There appears to be no difference in the extrusion settings other than direction.

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @phil_joyce I looked in “integrating sphere support” and did not see the geometry in your screen shots above. Please post the URL to your doc. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Wait - Retainer Set is a separate doc. You must create a version in that doc first then open your doc that links to it. You will then see an update icon. Right click to update. Linked documents only work with versions. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Re: " You must create a version in that doc first then open your doc that links to it."
    I do remember Onshape prompting me to create a version in some of the work I've been doing, but I cannot remember what brought up that prompt, nor was I aware of any drawing status change as a result. I have certainly clicked on an update icon, but obviously not in the drawings in question.
    OK, so I will go away and learn about version control. Thank you for your reply.

A small aside: What does the coloured 'P' that appears against some of my files, seemingly temporarily and at random, mean?