Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can Revision Numbers be set using FeatureScript?

MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
edited March 2018 in FeatureScript
Can Revision numbers be set using FeatureScript?
mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
IR for AS/NZS 1100
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Not today. There are other plans for the revision property. What is your goal?  If you are using configs to do revisions i would recommend not doing that. In years of consulting on PDM, that ends up being one aspect that makes management difficult. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    @lougallo

I want to quickly set all the revision numbers in a part studio at a time. I don't want to go through all 36 parts one at a time, changing the revision numbers.
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Howdy. You can just about do that already with the properties under the burger menu in a PS. It will allow you to select multiple parts and change parameters for all of them in one hit  :)

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Howdy. You can just about do that already with the properties under the burger menu in a PS. It will allow you to select multiple parts and change parameters for all of them in one hit  :)

Owen S
    Yes, but I'd like to try doing a FS for it, but I can't
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited March 2018
    OK, but wouldn't a FS run every time the model rebuilds, where as setting a revision is more of a as and when you need it thing?
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    @owen_sparks

I'll just go with your way for the moment.
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Piggybacking onto this - I'd like to be able to engrave a part number and revision level on my part, and was hoping I could do this with featurescript. I see that the revision property is not available within featurescript, and I can understand why. Since the workspace where the featurescript is running is uncontrolled, there really is no "revision" since it only applies to a static version upon release. 

So, would there be any way to evaluate the revision number in a part studio only when the part studio is rebuilt for a release? I guess I should first ask... when I release a part, is it re-built one final time when I create or approve the release candidate? If so, I'd be happy to have a feature that embosses the part number and a placeholder for the rev level (similar to how its done in drawings), and then when the part is released, the rev number is added at that point. 

Any of this possible?