Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Spur Gear FeatureScript pressure angle slightly off?

jon_woellhafjon_woellhaf Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
Using your fabulous FeatureScript spur gear generator, I created a gear with a pressure angle of 14 1/2 degrees.

I wanted to illustrate pressure angle for a presentation, so I made this sketch:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/688f55650b8e92fc98f95675/w/408b19c4414b5b1714d5a5dd/e/b47b9f32c37fbdd495a006a9

The horizontal-ish line is tangent to the pitch circle at the point where it intersects the tooth profile, and the vertical-ish line is tangent to the tooth profile at the point where it intersects the pitch circle. The pressure angle appears to be 14.481 degrees, not the 14.5 I expected to see.

I created the same size gear with a 20 degree pressure angle and went through the same construction. Its pressure angle is very close to 20 degrees.

Not to be pedantic, but I wanted to bring this to your attention in case there's an error in the Script.

More likely, I've made a mistake in my construction.

Thanks!

Jon

Best Answer

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Answer ✓
    Thanks @jon_woellhaf for pointing that out. As suspected it was due to the tolerance I used to create the spline. I've increased the tolerance by a factor of 2.5 which gets the angle closer to perfect without adversely affecting performance too much. I also took the opportunity to add a chamfer option. The Spur Gear icon in your toolbar (and your features) should show up with a blue link icon on it - right click to update to V4.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Answer ✓
    Thanks @jon_woellhaf for pointing that out. As suspected it was due to the tolerance I used to create the spline. I've increased the tolerance by a factor of 2.5 which gets the angle closer to perfect without adversely affecting performance too much. I also took the opportunity to add a chamfer option. The Spur Gear icon in your toolbar (and your features) should show up with a blue link icon on it - right click to update to V4.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • jon_woellhafjon_woellhaf Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks, Neil. It now shows as 14.5. Thanks very much. I LOVE your spur gear creator!